A southern, country staple. Fried up in a little bacon grease and butter, this is easily one of the south’s best sides. And it’s good for you too!
- 3 slices of thick cut bacon
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 head of green cabbage
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a frying pan, cook up your chopped bacon. While it cooks, chop your cabbage into strips as thin or thick as you like.
- Leaving any grease and the cooked bacon, add a tablespoon of butter and allow it to melt.
- Add in your cabbage. You may have to add half, allow it to cook down some and then add the rest. It depends on your frying pan.
- The cabbage will start to soften and wilt. Once it is softened, add your salt and pepper. Do this step last, after cooking, because salt pulls the water out of the cabbage. You do not want it cooking in water for this fried cabbage.
- Happy eating!