Soft spiced pumpkin cake filled with a fluffy whipped cinnamon cream cheese filling and layered with chopped pecans or chocolate chips makes for a velveety smooth roll in this old fashioned pumpkin roll recipe.
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts or chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl, sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and pumpkin pie spice. Set aside.
- Add eggs to a mixing bowl and beat with an electric hand or stand mixer.
- Add sugar and cream the eggs and sugar together.
- Add pumpkin and vanilla and combine.
- Mix dry ingredients into liquid, slowly, about a half cup at a time.
- Grease a 13x18 inch baking sheet and cover with parchment, pressing the parchment into the sides and corners of the pan.
- Pour in cake batter and evenly spread into corners of pan.
- Bake for 15 minutes. While cake is baking, gather a clean tea towel, cooling rack and prepare a place to cool the cake.
- Remove the cake from the oven and immediately top with powdered sugar (to keep it from sticking to the towel). Lay the towel over the cake in the pan and the cooling rack on top of that. Carefully flip the entire pan, towel and cooling rack so that the parchment is now facing up.
- Carefully roll the cake tightly, leaving the towel and parchment paper in place. Allow to cool for several hours on the counter or store in the refrigerator overnight.
- If storing in the refrigerator, be sure to pull the rolled cake out of the fridge a few hours before filling to allow it to come to room temperature. This helps it to not stick to the towel or to tear/crack.
- Once cool and room temperature, make filling.
- Slowly and carefully unroll the cake and peel off the parchment paper, pressing on the paper softly as you pull it back.
- Evenly spread the filling onto the cake, top with nuts or chocolate chips and roll the pumpkin roll back up tightly. Remove from towel and place on serving dish. Slice off each end for a nice presentation. Top with sifted powdered sugar over the top.
- Store in the refrigerator or freezer until ready to serve. If freezing, pull this out and allow to thaw in the fridge overnight, up to a day in advance. Wait to to with powdered sugar until serving.
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 oz cream cheese
- Allow cream cheese to soften at room temperature.
- In a mixing bowl, whip cream with an electric hand or stand mixer until soft peaks form.
- Add powdered sugar, cinnamon and vanilla and whip until hard peaks form.
- In a seperate bowl, whip cream cheese to soften.
- Add cream cheese to whip cream and combine.